Former Governor Sigurd Anderson taught in this one-room country school from 1927 to 1928 in order to make enough money to continue his education.
Albert Rusche purchased the structure after it was abandoned as a school. He kindly donated the schoolhouse and it was moved to De Smet and situated across the street from Pa Ingalls’ Surveyors’ House.
Through many contributions, the school was restored and equipped with country school memorabilia. However, some original pieces were still intact, like the original pot-bellied stove. Some of the former teachers’ old records and notes were also found in the fire box.
The dedication of the restored LeSeuer Township District No. 1 country school took place in 1976 with its one-time teacher, former Governor Sigurd Anderson, who was in attendance.
The school once again hears the sound of children laughing. The Laura Ingalls Wilder Memorial Society has created a hands-on pioneer activity center. Those who visit the Historic Homes of De Smet have the opportunity to tour the school and play inside of it.
Earlier this spring, during our field trips, many visiting students learned about “Hunting with Pa” in the Discovery Center.
This post is part of a series: A Virtual Tour of “The Little Town on the Prairie.” If you are new to the series and would like to start at the beginning of the tour, please click here!