Kingsbury County was created and organized on February 2, 1880. It was named after George W. Kingsbury and T. A. Kingsbury, prominent brothers in territorial affairs.
De Smet was platted in 1880. On November 2, of that year, De Smet was chosen as the county seat of Kingsbury County. The deed for the present courthouse site was received from Mr. and Mrs. Albert Keep on May 30, 1882.
The final decision for building a courthouse was made in April of 1888. The east wing was not to exceed the cost of $4,000. On April 5, 1892, initiation for building the west wing was introduced. It wasn’t until January 1898 that M. E. Bush was awarded the contract to build an addition. In January of 1899 the new courthouse was opened for business.
Flowers and trees were planted and curved walkways were added to the grounds. The carriage drive-through was used by many horses and buggies.
In 1982, while the courthouse was being restored, six complete court cases were found in the basement vault, and all were in the handwriting of Charles P. Ingalls, dating from 1883 to 1884.
C. P. Ingalls served as Justice of the Peace for the young community of De Smet during those years.
Many Views of the Kingsbury County Courthouse
These photos were collected from postcards published featuring the Kingsbury County Courthouse. They feature many views, seasons, and years of the courthouse. Notice the different height of the trees.